Ponytails 101: How-To’s, Tips & Tricks
POV: You just got your first INH clip-in ponytail extension and you’re excited (as you should be!), but now what? We’re here to show you some easy tips and tricks to wear and maintain your new favorite hair piece. This is Ponytails 101, your crash course to everything ponytails!
What makes an INH ponytail the best?
We use a special vegan fiber from Japan that was created to mimic the look and feel of real hair! Our ponytails blend in seamlessly with your natural hair and are super quick and easy to apply. INH ponytails are also pre-styled, which means that once you apply her, she’s ready to go. With the proper maintenance, our ponytails will last a really long time! (Fun fact: our founders still wear the first ponytails we launched!)
With every ponytail, you’ll receive two bobby pins, and a reusable satin storage pouch for storage.
How to Apply an INH Hair Ponytail (not including Molly)
We get that vegan hair can be intimidating, but INH ponytails are super fast and easy to apply. Let’s break it down!
- First, Put your natural hair in a tight ponytail or bun if you have thin hair.
- If you have long hair: Put your natural hair into a braided loop. Tie your hair into a tight ponytail with an elastic and braid your hair. Then tuck the end of your braid under the elastic.
- Insert the comb of the ponytail wrap under the elastic tie to secure into position.
- Wrap the Velcro hair tail tightly around your elastic tie. Make sure the hair tail covers the velcro areas by adjusting as needed.
- Secure the ends of the velcro hair tail in place with the bobby pins included. We provide two with every ponytail, but feel free to use as many as you need.
Pro tip: Make sure you have a strong, secure hair elastic tie to keep your hair in place! You may even want to use 2 hair ties for an even more secure hold for fine, thin hair. Do not use fabric scrunchies. When ponytails aren’t secure, this is the culprit 99% of the time. You can also slick down your baby hair and fly-aways with our Quick Slick for a sleeker look.
How to Apply Molly
Unlike the rest of our ponytails, the Molly ponytail is a unique hair piece that gives you two options on how to apply her. You can use the jaw clip for an easy, quick, clip n’ go or a drawstring net application to give her extra volume. Here’s how it works!
Jaw Clip Wear:
Pro Tip: Best for short/thin to medium length hair and ponytails worn on the back of the head (not the top of your head).
- Tie your natural hair in a tight ponytail using an elastic in a mid or high ponytail (where you normally would use a jaw clip to put your hair up).
- Open up Molly’s jaw clip and apply over the elastic tie area of your hair. Slightly open and adjust to make sure your natural ponytail is inside the jaw clip for secure full coverage. Our jaw clip is super strong and sturdy!
Drawstring Net wear:
Pro Tip: While the jaw clip feature gave you girl-next-door vibes, Molly can be a baddie too! Best for short/thin to medium length hair.
- Loosen out the drawstring. Carefully open and remove the jaw clip from the net.
- Make a tight bun with your natural hair on top of your head to wear as a high ponytail.
- Place the net over your bun and secure it in place with the two combs attached inside the net.
- Pull the drawstring until it wraps around your bun. Secure the wrap by pulling up the knob.
- Tuck the remaining string under and inside the net.
Molly Pro Tip:
Molly comes pre-styled in spiral curls. You can wear it as is for a more refined curl look or you may brush them out with a bristle brush for soft and lustrous waves.
Ways to Style
There are so many ways to rock our ponytails. We’ve listed 5 of our favorite ways to wear them, but show us your own personal style by tagging #INHBabe on Instagram!
The Classic High Ponytail
Our favorite way to rock a ponytail! She’s super sleek and ready for any occasion.
The Low-key Ponytail (Low Ponytail)
Wear her low when you’ve got places to go!
Yes, pigtails are in! Double up your favorite ponytail to rock this nostalgic look.
Ponytails, The Remix
We love our classic shades that are color matched to a T, but it’s always fun to rock another shade! Whether you’re pulling off an ombre look, a half-up half-down style, or rocking bold colored pigtails, the options are endless.
Braids for Days
A fun way to switch up your INH ponytail is to braid it! We recommend a fishtail or dutch braid, but don’t limit yourself. Your ponytail can do it all :)
Our ponytails are heat resistant up to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind that our ponytails are pre-styled, and heat styling them would remove their original textures.
We all want to keep our inches looking perfect for as long as possible. Here are some tips and tricks on how to care for your INH ponytails:
- Brush before and after each wear with a wide tooth comb
- Wash your INH hair pieces occasionally or if they’re dirty.
- We don’t recommend frequently washing your hair pieces. Just wash them when you absolutely need to!
- Store using the super cute reusable satin pouch that comes with every ponytail! It helps prevent tangles and extends the life of your hair. An alternative way to store would be to hang your ponytails on our INH Hanger.
Spray a detangler or a leave-in conditioner with detangling ingredients throughout the fibers. Lay your hair flat on a table, and hold the hair in sections to brush out any tangles. Starting at the ends, then mid section, and finally, up to the base. If you brush vegan hair from top to bottom, the fibers can "stretch." This causes tangles and breakage, just like split ends on your real hair. Brush before and after each wear. Store neatly in the provided stain storage bag to prevent tangles when not in use.
To detangle Shayla, we recommend using a wide-tooth comb for optimal results. The next steps are similar to how you would brush any other ponytail. Lay your ponytail on a flat surface and hold the hair about 4 inches from the end of the ponytail. Comb out any tangles at the ends. Once the bottom section is detangled, hold the mid section and repeat the process moving up towards the base.
Shayla Pro Tip: After you comb her, you can mist her with water or a light shine spray. Then tousle her gently to restore her natural curl texture.
You might be wondering how to brush your Kacey ponytail with all her shiny tinsel goodness. Don’t worry, it’s actually really easy! Once you lay her on a flat surface for brushing, you will realize that the tinsel is only on the top layer of the ponytail. You can easily divide the tinsel layer with a rattail comb, clip that area aside and brush the remaining hair fibers as you would a regular vegan ponytail. After detangling all sections of the ponytail, use your fingers to gently mix the tinsel back into the hair.
Kacey Pro Tip: Always use your fingers to add the tinsel back into Kacey, as brushing it may cause the tinsel to stretch or break!
Yes, you can wash your vegan ponytails! Whether your ponytail is made of 100% Remy human hair or our special vegan fibers, washing it is a must.
- To start, make sure to brush and detangle your ponytail.
- Hold the wrap area with one hand and soak her under cool running water.
- Use a mild or synthetic wig shampoo and lather her with your other hand using circular motions with your fingers throughout the hair until clean. DO NOT RUB or lather into a ball!
- Rinse the shampoo and apply a good amount of some moisturizing conditioner or hair mask. For best results, leave the conditioner or hair mask on for about 5 to 10 minutes. (You can also leave it on overnight!)
- Rinse the hair under cool running water until silky smooth. Lightly detangle any knots with fingers.
- Squeeze excess water, then lay on a dry towel and let it air dry.
WARNING: Do NOT blow dry your hair pieces! Doing so may result in damage to your locks (and we hate damaged hair). Air dry your hair for best results.
Pro Tip: Feel free to use your favorite leave-in conditioners with detangling ingredients, detanglers, shine sprays or serums on your ponytails as you wish. Do not use any oils or heavy creams.
Note: Can you dye the ponytails? Unfortunately, the answer is no. Since they are made of pre-colored vegan fibers, you cannot dye the fibers with hair color. We offer a variety of colors for you to choose from. But if you don't see your color, feel free to reach out to our development team! We love hearing from our INH Babes!
And that concludes Ponytails 101! You’re now on your way to becoming a ponytail expert. We want to see your style! Be sure to tag us on Instagram @insertnamehere and use the hashtag #INHBabe to show us your creative looks.