Wigs 101: How-To’s, Tips & Tricks
Class is in session! Today, our focus will be on wigs and everything you need to know about them. Application, styling, tips & tricks. We’ll cover them all. Let’s get started!
What makes INH wigs the best?
We use a special vegan fiber from Japan that was created to mimic the look and feel of real hair! Our wigs give you an IG-ready transformation (plus, they’re super quick and easy to apply)! INH wigs are also pre-styled, which means that once you apply her, she’s ready to go. With the proper maintenance, our hair pieces will last a really long time! (Fun fact: our founders still wear the first wigs we launched!)
With every wig, you’ll receive 2 wig caps and a reusable storage pouch!
How to Apply Wigs
We get it, wigs can be intimidating, especially if it’s your first time wearing one. That’s why we’re here to break it down.
1. Start by brushing your hair to get rid of any tangles and make your hair as flat as possible. Then divide your hair into two sections.
2. Take one section and twist it as tightly as possible. Do this by turning your hair in between your thumb and pointer fingers until completely twisted. Take the end of the twisted strand, wrap it around the back of your head, and bobby pin it in place. Repeat this for the other strand, making an “x” shape on the back of your head.
3. Once all of your hair is up, you are now ready to put on your wig cap.
Note: While this our preferred way to prep your hair for a wig, feel free to use a different method if you wish!
Pro tip: If your wig has a lace front, trim the lace with scissors before applying. If you want to use adhesive, cut the lace at least 1 cm away from the hairline. If you are not going to use adhesive, cut directly next to the hairline.
1. Put your wig cap on behind your ears and leave it about an inch back from your hairline. If any hair is sticking out, use your hands to tuck it in the cap so you have a smooth base.
2. Then put the wig on your head by placing your hands inside (where your ears would go) and prop her down, securing the clips inside the wig cap. We recommend lining up your natural part with the wig part, and pulling down on the bottom of the wig to secure her in place.
Pro Tip: All of our wigs are adjustable! Inside the wig cap, you can adjust the velcro to match your head size and shape.
Ways to Style
There are endless ways to rock our wigs. Here are some of our favorites!
Our wigs come pre-styled, so you’ll always be photo-ready!
Sleek and Straight
Some people prefer their wigs straightened, but remember! Heat styling your wig will get rid of her original texture.
Pair your wigs with some cute clips or pins to truly put together a timeless look. Our favorites are our You Give Me Butterflies butterfly clips!
Create a beautiful upstyle or updo with french braids, fishtails, pigtail braids and more!
Depending on the length of your wig, you can style her with ponytails or space buns!
Heat Styling Tips:
Our wigs are heat resistant up to 320 degrees Fahrenheit, but heat styling your wig will get rid of her original texture. Remember to always spray heat protectant to protect the hair. Do NOT use curling irons or flat irons near the lace cap. Style hair 2 to 3 inches away from the roots.
Curling - When you curl vegan fibers, hold the curls in your palms for about 30sec to cool before you let it fall. This “cooling period” will help keep the shape for a long-lasting curl!
Straightening - Take small sections of hair and run the flat iron down swiftly until you get your desired look. Remember! Swiftly not slowly.
Get creative! There are so many ways to rock a wig, so tag us in your best looks on Instagram @insertnamehere.
Maintenance is important! Here’s how to ensure the longevity of your hair pieces.
- Brush before and after each wear.
- Wash your INH hair pieces occasionally to maintain their luster.
- We don’t recommend frequently washing your hair pieces. Just wash them when you need to!
- Store using the super cute reusable satin pouch that comes with every purchase! It helps prevent tangles and extends the life of your hair.
We recommend using a pick or wide tooth comb. Make sure to brush the hair in sections, starting from the bottom and working your way to the top. Brushing straight down with a bristle brush may result in loss of original texture. Do not brush tightly curled wigs; instead, brush through with fingers to loosen any tangles.
Before washing, brush your wigs. Add one pump of gentle synthetic wig shampoo into a sink filled with cold water and create suds by mixing the water with your hands.
1. Use a detangling wig spray or wig conditioner to loosen any tangles and revive her texture and color.
2. Flip the wig inside out and immerse her in the water. Gently swirl and let her soak for about 5 minutes. Swirl the wig in the water gently.
Pro Tip: Do NOT rub or scrub the cap area or the hand tied lace front areas! Gently soak, swirl and squeeze.
3. After shampooing, place the wig under cold running water to rinse off access shampoo. Lightly apply conditioner mid to ends and let it soak into the fibers. Then, rinse the conditioner in cold running water. Do not twist, rub or squeeze water off. Pat the hair until the excess water is gone and air dry completely. We recommend hanging your wigs on INH Hanger for faster drying.
WARNING: Do NOT blow dry your wigs! Doing so may result in damage to your locks (and we hate damaged hair). Air dry your hair for best results.
4. Never brush the fibers when wet. Spray some wig conditioner spray, shake the wig gently and brush her gently using a pick or comb to revive the curls or flow of hair. It is important that you start from ends and slowly move upwards to the roots.
5. Do not use heat products on wet or semi-wet hair. The fibers must be completely dried before any heat is used.
Pro Tip: Feel free to use your favorite leave-in conditioners with detangling ingredients, detanglers, shine sprays or serums on your wigs as you wish. Do not use any oils or heavy creams.
IMPORTANT: Our wigs have a hand-tied natural part. This means that when drying the hair after shampoo, you must not flatten the hand tied natural parting areas. Fluff up the parting area to get an uplifted natural root look.
Note: Can I put on a wig without a wig cap? While you can wear a wig without a wig cap, we recommend using one because they serve as a protective barrier between your scalp and the wig. They also work to ensure your wig stays on throughout the day. If you’re looking for an alternative to a wig cap, you can always create your own using a stocking!
If you’re nervous about seeing your natural hairline, we’ve got the solution for you. Any of our wigs with bangs (such as our YoYo Wig) are ideal for beginners, as they combine some of the most popular hairstyles (layers, bangs, curls) and naturally cover your hairline.
And that concludes Wigs 101! You’re now on your way to becoming a wig expert. We want to see your style! Be sure to tag us on Instagram @insertnamehere and use the hashtag #INHBabe to show us your creative looks.